Monday, February 27, 2012

Playing with Metal

The Doily is one of the hottest trends in crafting right now, so of course, Stampin' Up! has a beautiful Doily die for the Big Shot, just offered in the current mini catalog. It is gorgeous, so full of details. . . ovals and circles and dots and dashes, all precision cut from your cardstock or sheet metal. What? Sheet metal? This product is widely available in craft stores, internet and hardware stores. My buddy Catherine ordered some for me over a year ago and I finally found the perfect use for it!

The doily die is so detailed that it offers new challenges to crafters. All those teeny tiny pieces need to be coaxed out after cutting the cardstock. There are lots of tips and tricks, but when I used the sheet metal, every one of them was just hanging and needed to be simply pulled away. I will be experimenting with card stock and wax paper and shims, so I can give you a full review of the doily die, but for now, I have no complaints at all!

After the doily worked so well, I went on to cut a frame using the new label dies. Then I used a frame embossing folder to add texture. It is so cool! I stamped the birthday sentiment and over-stamped with some flowers, and punched with an oval punch. So easy!

 After I added some more texture and color with the beautiful wide striped ribbon, I had to stop myself from messing around any further. Plus I had to fine a nice cellophane bag for presentation, since I felt I needed to leave the ribbon hanging off the sides of the card.

I haven't heard from the birthday girl, I hope she liked the card.

Happy Stamping,
Dee Tollaksen


1 comment: