Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Basla Wood and the BigShot and DCBD 122

Welcome to DCBD122. Trendy Trees stamp set is just so darn cute, every card made with it is a happy card! This is a simple base of Very Vanilla CS, a bit of Old Olive CS and then a nice piece of balsa wood!  Yes, I just ran the balsa wood through my BigShot using the Top Note die. It did require careful handling because the wood is very pliable or fragile and it wants to splinter and fall apart, so try it, but be careful! Then I decorated away, with Trendy Trees, brads, free ribbon from SU sell-a-bration and a bit of Bashful Blue CS that I scalloped using the punch.  Really simple, we did this card in a stamp camp last week. 

Totally inspired by a card done by Dawn McVey and seen in the May Paper Crafts magazine (p65). Dawn has a great blog (dawnmcvey.typepad.com)  and she warns that the balsa wood is a little tricky.

Anyone can be an artist, using rubber stamps and relying on existing work for inspiration.  My background in journalism and computers offers me no training in arts & crafts, but I love making things and they might as well be beautiful! So I enjoy the work of true artists and use the tools at hand to re-create or re-work the inspiration project. That's why I am so flattered to be on the design team here -- after all these years of copying, I am actually creating my own things and publishing them on-line to inspire others!  

Join us today with a card or project made using a BigShot and post it on your blog or SplitCoast, then link it to the Diva Coffee Break Designs blog, the link is at the right in my sidebar. Have a great day, and be sure to visit all the Diva's and then break out your stamping supplies and join in!
Dee Tollaksen

17 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love the balsa wood idea! I thought you had run paper through using the distressed plate! That's a real WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Dee - I love the look of the balsa wood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The balsa wood is amazing! Love the look and your card. What a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool idea! I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the wood, it is so different and really adds a nice new texture to the card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that set, I have been holding off getting it. I love the idea of the balsa wood. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Dee, I love it! I love the effect of the balsa wood. Now you have taught me something new.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea Dee! How pretty! That's a fab photo of you with shelly too. Love your blog, lots of ideas! TYFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card Dee ! Love the wood effect !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Balsa Wood--what a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome work! I might have to try that technique for my next class...tfs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card! I too love the balsa wood!
    ~Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so creative! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW... a card with wood?/!! You are very creative, and your card shows... great card!!
    Denise from OHio
    Phil4:13

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea to combine wood with this set, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dee, I am way behind in commenting, but I absolutely love this card!! The balsa wood is a GREAT addition!!

    Julie
    www.inkedujour.com

    ReplyDelete